Saturday 8 May 2010

Chilli Peppers Looking Good.

After being sown at completely the wrong time of year (November 2009) and being kept safe from frost, they seem to be doing well.
I currently have two varieties at this stage of growth, pictured below are what I believe to be Trinidad Scorpions. After the chillies come to fruition later in the year, I will be able to consult my good friend and chilli expert Paul Grant (from Fenn Creek Chillies) and hopefully confirm the variety. 
I will upload photos of the chillies later this year when I hope to have a bumper crop to dry out and powder. I plan to make my own shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven-spice seasoning).

Shichimi is generally the following spices ground together in equal parts:

Dried hot chillies
Sansho (szechuan peppercorns)
Hemp seed
Sesame seed
Poppy seed
Dried orange peel
Roasted seaweed